1. Make sure your computer is set to open .acsm files using Adobe Digital Editions
Even if you have fully installed Adobe Digital Editions, your computer may not recognize what program to use to open the .acsm file you've downloaded from the ebook provider.
Windows 8 instructions:
1. Open your right-side menu, and select Settings then Control Panel.
2. Go to Programs, Default Programs, and select "Make a file type always open in a specific program."
3. Find .acsm in the file extensions list. Click it one time to select it.
4. Click the "Change program" button above the list.
5. An "Open with" box will come up. Select Adobe Digital Editions from the list of programs recommended.
6. Click OK. Your ebooks should now default to opening in Adobe Digital Editions.
Windows 7 instructions:
1. On your computer, go to Start, then Control Panel.
2. Select Programs, then Default Programs.
3. Open "Associate a file type or protocol with a program." This window may take a minute to load, it contains a lot of information.
4. Find .acsm in the file extensions list. Click it one time to select it.
5. Click the "Change program" button above the list.
6. An "Open with" box will come up. Select Adobe Digital Editions from the list of programs recommended. Note: if ADE is not listed, please double-check that it is installed on your computer, or use the "Browse" button to find and select it.
7. Click OK. Your ebooks should now default to opening in Adobe Digital Editions.
1. In Finder, select the Downloads folder.
2. Scroll down and find the .acsm file (this was the attempted book download).
3. Hold down the Control key, and click on the .acsm file.
4. This opens a small menu - choose "Always open with..." and set to Adobe Digital Editions.
2. Error messages:
E_AUTH_NOT_READY: Follow the steps to rebuild the activation file.
ERROR - CHECK ACTIVATION: In Adobe Digital Editions, Help > Erase authorization > Close & reopen ADE > Help > Authorize
Still having trouble? You may need to uninstall the ADE reader, reboot your computer, and try a fresh reinstall of the reader.